Saturday, October 16, 2010

Progress...

I am so glad that cooler temperatures are moving in, but man...the fall season really does kick my butt.  We have had a few weeks where we had a soccer obligation (be it a game or a practice) four nights a week!  Then of course with the cooler weather comes the sniffles and colds.  We all have been congested for a good month now, lol.

As far as school is going, we are doing alright.  Not making as much progress as usual, but we really had a couple of big breaks for Dragon*Con and for the Connecticut trip.  

Braeden is doing well.  He's being Braeden, which means he doesn't want to write anything because he can just type it or more importantly, just tell me things.  But he is doing a little better.  I am trying to find a good handwriting program, workbook, lesson, etc.  One that is solid, but fun so it will hold his interest.  Just practicing letters over and over isn't cutting it... 

Bailey is also doing well.  Science, Social Studies and Art are still his favorite subjects.  Not a shocker. One of the areas that we both were struggling with a couple of months ago was contractions.  I was having a hard time trying to teach contractions (it's one of those things that once you learn, you never really think about again and take for granted), which made it hard for Bailey to pick on them.  

Fortunately, the concept has gotten easier for him.  He's doing much better with forming the contractions correctly (do not is don't, have not is haven't, etc).  One area we need to work on is using the correct contraction.  Unfortunately, and I know I'm going to sound horrible here, but our location isn't helping with that.  I can't tell you how many people around here, ADULTS - not just kids, say things like "He don't want to go."  Grrr.   

Finding things like contraction games is good because when we practice with them, it's not a repeatedly writing or saying the word type of thing.  I'm hoping that I can keep that "game" momentum going and I will able to find other games to help with other concepts when the time comes.

So, like I said...progress is going well.  Soccer season will be done in a couple of weeks and we will have a few weeks without as many distractions.  Hopefully...  :)

No comments: