Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hitting a Wall...

Well, tax time officially started yesterday.  It was the IRS's first day to file.

Every year, I go through all of these emotions about tax time...

 - Grateful that we are in a position where I don't have to work outside the home full time.

 - Sad because I miss my home and my boys so much during my 27 hour days.  (What?  You didn't know there were 27 hours in a day??)

 - Really disappointed in myself because if I had just left that damn credit card alone at Christmastime, I really wouldn't have to worry about working during tax time, lol.

 - Frustrated because the school thing doesn't go well at all.

This isn't my first year doing this.  I've done it for several years now.  You'd think that, even though no one here likes me doing it, everyone would be used to it.  And everyone would adjust.

But nope.

Walter tells me every night when we go to sleep that he hates it. Then he tells me every morning as I walk out the door that he hates it. Then he tells me every evening when I finally get home that he hates it. Every year, he says this is the last year that you are doing this.

Then every year in the fall (Hellooooo Dragon*Con) and at Christmastime, neither of us curbs that extra spending that we do. :)

The boys basically just shut down when I'm gone.  With Walter holed up in his office every day, they are left to fend for themselves.  They do alright.  It's a good thing eating and bathing are SO overrated.

Even though I miss all of my boys, I get to work with friends...and that's never a bad thing.  It's also funny.  Every day, I will have another funny story to tell when I get home.

I never breach confidentiality rules.  I will never reveal a name to anyone outside the office.  I don't tell my hubby who that McDonald's lady was...the one that flagged me down in the drive thru to ask me if her check was ready.

But I do share some great stories. :D

As far as school goes while I'm away...well that's tough.  Even the online educational games that I can normally get Braeden to do are met with a scrunchy face.

Last year, I always had Starfall as a backup.  He loved playing around on Starfall.  But he has pretty much exhausted everything on that site, so the interest isn't there as much.  I think this weekend I am going to see if I can find some of those Jump Start games we can load on his computer.  It would be something new...

Bailey on the other hand, is really taking us by surprise.  He got a nook e-reader for Christmas (ok I got a new nookColor e-reader for Christmas and handed down my older one...but that still counts, lol) and that has turned out to be the BEST thing to get him to read more.  He's been interested in reading for a while now, but was often very intimidated by the size of the books he wanted to read.  700 plus pages can be hard to hold and maneuver.

Anyway...since getting his nook, he has gone to bed every night asking to read and all last week, he read for about an hour each morning before he even got out of bed.  Yep...rolled over, grabbed his nook and started reading.  Before breakfast, before cartoons, before anything!  We were beyond giddy.  The most astonishing thing EVAR?  Walter told me yesterday that he even opted to read over playing on his computer. Absolutely awesome!!

He has also written his first fantasy story.  Complete with dragons, knights and epic battles.

You can tell it was written by an 11 year old, but it was really good.  Walter is a writer and even came out of his office with a flabbergasted look of joy and awe on his face.

To help him with this particular interest, we are definitely going to sign him up for an online writing course.  I've mentioned it before, but we always kinda hedged on it.  We knew we would want him to do the course later, more for essay writing and SAT prep if he wanted to take it.  But I think with this new found interest in writing, and the natural talent he could very well expand on, it would be good to start the course now.

This upcoming week will be hard for everyone, but It will go fine, I'm sure of it.  Power of wishful thinking and all... :^)

No comments: