Monday, June 11, 2012

Mondays...

It's funny. Even though I don't necessarily have a "normal" week, Mondays are still sucky for me. Guess it's my psyche. Huh.

We are still enjoying our quietish summer so far. Nothing major happened; nothing major on our plates. Last week went well...the boys started a beta test for an iApp for VocabularySpellingCity, which is awesome!!! Even though iGadgets don't play well with flash, we have browsers that we've downloaded (like Puffin and Skyfire) that do work with flash, so they have been able to work on VSC, and even T4L, from their iPads. But apps are always so much more fun! We've never really done any beta testing, so it's neat to see these glitches...then see them get fixed, lol!

Over the weekend we took the boys to see some movies. Tracy and I took Braeden to see Madagascar 3, while Walter and Scott took the older boys to see Prometheus. We usually all see the same movie, but given some of the material that I was afraid would be in Prometheus, we opted to treat Braeden like he's 7 for a change, lol. Honestly, it really worked out well and both movies got thumbs up from everyone. :)

This week I am in planning-like-crazy-cause-I-procrastinated mode. The Cub Scout day camp that I run starts next Monday and needless to say...I ain't ready. :/ It helps that the theme of this year's camp is Pirates and that's easy, and fun, to plan for. Luckily, I work with a great bunch of people and everything always falls into place when I need it too.

Bailey is spending a couple of days at Tracy's this week. They are renovating their dining room and I'm hoping that she'll put him to work! Other than that, he will continue with the beta test for VSC and he will try and nail down which of the homeschool writing courses he's going to take next. I really want him to get started on that after we get finished with camp. He wants to take the next course in the mechanics area. I think that would be good, but there are also some essay writing courses that I'm thinking might be good.

I've said repeatedly how much I hate standardized tests, but with him approaching high school, I'm letting all the "what if's" get in my brain and freak me out. I don't know yet if he's going to go to college. He doesn't know that yet either, lol. We are advocates of continuing education, but that doesn't mean we think college is the only option for our kids. Bailey's been wanting to become a chef since he was like 5. A trade school would probably benefit him more than a college, you know? Anyway...if he decides he wants to go college, then I guess I need to prepare him more for those entrance exams. One way to do that is to have him take standardized tests a little more frequently than the every three years required by the state. Gak. T4W offers some essay writing courses that would help him with essay writing for standardized tests and those might be some I want him to complete before he takes his next tri-annual test. Although, if he doesn't take one of them this summer, he can always take it at some point throughout the school year...

Braeden will also continue to work on the best test VSC app. Other than that, he will work on handwriting and reading. He is moving right along through his Magic Tree House books and is so proud of himself! It's fantastic to see. If I have time, I am going to check out this classroom adventures program I found on the MTH site. Apparently there are lesson plans and such that correspond with the books. I think he would really enjoy that! If I can't do that for him this week, there's always after camp.

Ok. Off to plan some pirate activities. Hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Arrrrr! ;)


No comments: