Sunday, January 22, 2012

Doesn't feel like January...

...at least not weather wise. It's rainy. And while it's not necessarily warm, it's warmer than it should be this time of year. We have had a little bit of cooler winter weather, but not much. Going from warmish to coldish and back, makes for some stuffy wee ones (and a stuffy mommy!).

This week was full on "blarg." It was the first week of filing with the IRS, so there are always kinks to work out. I ended up working more than I hoped. I mostly whined all week, lol, but now that it's Sunday, I can step back and say that I'm looking forward to a paycheck with overtime. :D

This weekend Bailey participated in a Klondike Derby with his Scout troop. I'm guessing since this event is scheduled in January, involves a sled and is called "Klondike," that it would be best if we had snow. Since that rarely happens in these parts, we were lucky enough to have rain. Which means we had mud. Lots of mud. But the boys had a great time. They were cold and wet all day, but they did a great job. There are competitions throughout the day, all wrapped up with a "Great Sled Race."

Look! Pictures! Thanks to the hubs...

Soaking wet ALL day, lol.
The boys, pulling their sled like little dog sled doggies. :D
Tracy's dad helped the boys make their sled and it was AWESOME! I know Tracy sent me a photo of just the sled, but I can't find it. I will get her to send it to me again and I will add it. It really was an incredible sled.

**Updated...here is the photo from Tracy:
It eventually was varnished (I think that's the right word, lol), had wheels and lots of other extras. But you can see the wonderful workmanship of the sled.


In all of the competitions, their troop received 1st place in Nitro Carry (I have NO idea what this is, but all the boys came home in one piece, so it's all good, lol) and 2nd place in First Aid. They were doing really well in the race too, but at one point in the race, a boy from one of the other troops fell and got ran over by his sled. It was apparently pretty bad, with EMTs needed. But our troop stopped to offer help. For this, they received a Presidential Award of Merit! Everyone is SO SO proud of them. Even without the award, knowing that stopping would blow any chance they had to place in the race, they still stopped and did what needed to be done. Definitely worth bragging about! ;)

I didn't get to go the Derby because I had to work, but I guess if I try to find the silver lining in missing it, I'm glad I wasn't out in the chilly muck all day. We didn't want Braeden out in that either, so he spent the day at the office with me. He did well, but even with his gadgets he brought, nine hours is a looooong time for me, much less a 7 yo, to be stuck in an office. He had a few moments of "Please, PLEASE find me something to do!" Tracy and I let him shred a lot paperwork...cause shredders are cool. He would look over the papers and find the words he could read before loading them into the shredder. Fortunately, we are still working on his reading comprehension, lol, so even though there were several words he could sound out, there wasn't an understanding there. Not that he would have seen anything bad, I'm just glad I didn't have to spend the whole day explaining tax stuff to him.

**Another update...at one point Braeden also got to Facetime with Tracy's niece in CT. We all love her, and it was a special treat for him to be able to do this. :)

Big fans of iGadgets... :D


Today is our family day. It's still chilly and icky out, so we are about to go grab a few groceries then head home to have a movie marathon, all cuddled up on the couch. This week will probably be the same as last week, as far as the working and whining and working goes. :D The boys will continue on with school. Braeden is spending a lot of time on one of our online games sites, which is fine with me because that means that the hubs isn't struggling with him. Bailey is finally going to start one of the homeschool writing courses we have been wanting him to take. I have to sign him up tomorrow. Walter went through and decided this morning which course he thought would be the best for him to start with, and we are all excited (even Bailey!) to see how this addition to his school day works out.

Alrighty, that's all for now. I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: