Friday, July 23, 2010

Winding Down Summer and Looking Ahead...

I just found out that school starts here in like a week and a half.  Holy clap!  Where did the summer go? And how did I miss the back-to-school sales???? I have a...well, a thing...for glue and markers.  I don't know why, but every time these things go on sale in the summer, I stock up.  And by "stock up" I mean that I could probably provide these items to an entire school district.  *sheepish grin*  Oh well, at least they are things that we all use...

As much as I love my glue and marker bonanza, the back-to-school sales usually cause a teensy bit of anxiety.  When Bailey sees all of the school supply lists, lunch boxes, backpacks and other kids shopping for their new gear, I always wonder if this is going to be the year that he turns to me and says he wants to go back to public school.  

Fortunately, he is still very much on the homeschooling bandwagon.  I think it's a good thing that he went to public school, even if for only a short while.  He does have a few memories of things, and according to him, he doesn't miss a thing.  I guess it's hard to miss a 6am wake up call and being gone all day when he stumbles to his computer at 9-930am every morning, completes everything in a few hours, then has the rest of the day at his command, lol.

This upcoming school year, both of the boys are going to pass a pretty big milestone.  Braeden is going to work on 1st grade, which feels like a GIANT step up from Kindergarten.  I wouldn't call him excited, I would even go so far as to say he dreads it.  But it's a milestone nonetheless and I am looking forward to seeing how he will do, even if he isn't.   We will be using the same homeschool online program for him, Time4Learning, that we have used for Bailey over the last 4 grades. We started in the 2nd grade with Bailey, so the 1st grade program will be new to Braeden, as well as myself. Supplemented with handwriting and extra reading, I'm hoping we are good to go for the youngest wee one. :)

Bailey's milestone is pretty big...he's starting 6th grade.  Here, 6th grade is middle school and that's pretty impressive to my almost 11yo.  I wouldn't say I'm "Impressed-Mommy," as much as I would say I'm "curled-up-in-the-fetal-position-in-the-shower(cue Crying Game music)-wailing-about-where-my-baby-has-gone-Mommy." :D  He has done really well through 5th grade, so even though I am lamenting about how fast he is growing up, I am truly interested in what this year will bring us.  We will still continue with Time4Learning as our core curriculum.  I don't think we will supplement with too much...a handwriting and spelling program for sure, but that's about it.  Bailey does well with supplementing reading on his own, as well as science projects/activities and artsy stuffs.  I am considering signing him up for some homeschool writing classes, just to see how he will do.  But that will come after he starts the year, so I can see how things are going for him.

As far as what we will do the remainder of our summer?  We have the boys birthday party to plan, a wedding to attend and then... Dragon*Con!  Considering that I am sorely missing my brothers and sisters of dorkdom, Labor Day really can't get here fast enough!! Browncoats, Stormtroopers and Wookies, vampires (no, not the sparkly kind-the hot TrueBlood kind!) and Dark Hunters, my favorite authors, and more people-watching than I can handle...sounds like heaven, doesn't it?? ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah, you have a "thing" for glue and markers...