Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kickin' Back...

This week was great for us. Amazing. Almost perfect even.

Wanna know what happened?

Absolutely nuffin. ;)

We had an entire (and very rare) week at home. We relaxed, tried to get caught up on stuff (yep, stuff still from vacation, lol) and just hung out. It was fabulous. We closed out the week just as fabulously. Yesterday I went to a Dragon*Con staff meeting, which I always enjoy, and today we had a double feature day at the theater. Hunger Games (first time for all of us except Bailey) and Avengers. Again. And yes, just as awesome the second time. :D

The boys' schooling is going fine. They are just about done with their core stuff. I loathe standardized testing and only worry about when it's absolutely mandatory for me to do so. And even then, I'll procrastinate and put it off for as long as possible. Since this year is not one of those "absolutely mandatory" years for any homeschool standardized tests, they are taking their sweet time with wrapping everything up. That's alright though. I don't want to pressure on them if I don't have to.

I have "schooly" things on my to-do list. We still have to decide on which writing course Bailey will be taking this summer. We are going to put more focus on handwriting for Braeden. I have to do some reading about homeschooling with learning disabilities (I may have an opportunity to help a family start homeschooling, and I want to have a better understanding of which direction to point them in to begin with). And I'm still looking for good science programs. But, those things will get worked out later in the summer if they have to. The next couple of weeks I am putting my attention towards the Cub Scout Day Camp I run every year. It's a week earlier in the summer than normal, so I hope I can keep that in the forefront of my mind as I'm planning everything...

Nothing major is on the table for this week for the boys. Since I will be consumed with day camp planning, they will manage themselves. That should work out, right? :/


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! Reading this reminded me how thankful I am that our state doesn't have testing requirements for homeschoolers - I think I would handle it in exactly the same way as you! Also, I was reading along and guess what - we are almost exactly the same age! I turn 35 in June. Have a fun summer!

Unknown said...

Blah! Standardizing tests is...blah! LOL Maine doesn't require it if you have a certified teacher do a portfolio review for you. We go that route, although sometimes (especially now that my oldest is starting high school) think that having that standardized testing IS beneficial. They would have practice with the procedure before SATS and college admission testing. I still think it's blah though! LOL

Unknown said...

Thank you both for stopping by and commenting! :)

Hope you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend, and you have a great summer! :)

Katie