Sunday, December 26, 2010

Family Time can bring about Question Time...

I love getting to see family and everyone, but with me homeschooling, we inevitably get questions about what the boys are doing and if they are "where they are supposed to be." I don't mind the questions really. I guess I could look at it as if they didn't care, they wouldn't ask.

Braeden, my youngest monkey, is 6 and in first grade. However, he is really struggling with reading.  My mom was asking him something and he told her he couldn't read. Of course, this made her question me. She didn't think it was funny when I looked at her and said "Ohmygawd...I'm supposed to be teaching him to read?!"

He can read more than he gives himself credit for, but this has recently been a big issue for him. So with his insecurities, he simply says he just can't.

This is one of those areas where I refuse to freak out. I truly believe that he will get this on his own time.  I know saying that may come across as way too nonchalant, but his father and I have always, and will always, do what's best for our boys.

I have absolutely no shame in admitting when I can't handle something or if I need a little help with something.  If there is ever any point where I start to wonder if he has any learning disabilities whatsoever, the people in my life should know that I will do whatever I need to address those.

Right now, we are giving him some time.  He is making small steps, but we are comfortable with those steps for the time being.

Anyway...

It was a great visit with my parents. We got to spend a couple of nights with them and the hubs and I took the boys to see Yogi Bear on Thursday. They laughed all the way through it. Even I giggled a few times and thought it was ok. Walter was pretty miserable the whole time, lol. I don't expect to see it on an "Oscar Watch List" or anything, but it's a movie about a talking bear. His expectations were obviously higher than mine. :D

Christmas Eve was filled with great food, love, laughter and lotsa presents! :)  My next post will be about the holiday fun, as well as our visit from Santa, Christmas morning, our sleepover and playtime in the snow.

Yes.  SNOW.  :)

Right now, I need to sleep.  I don't know that I've done that since Tuesday. Even though we have fun with everyone when we aren't at home, none of us sleep very well.  Certainly not as well as we do in our own beds.

This week I have a lot to do around here.  All of this loot has got find a home and I have a pretty large amount of housework to do before our New Year's Eve gathering next weekend.

I can always hope that we will accomplish some school related stuff, but truthfully... I doubt it, lol.  I might be able to get the boys to play some spelling games or something, but with all of the new play stuffs they've received over the last few days, I don't know that I will be able to get them to eat or anything.  Much less do school. :)

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I'm a firm believer in the whole "kids will read when they are ready and not a moment sooner" philosophy. Our oldest started reading on his own when he was three years old. Our youngest was almost eight when he really got the gist of it down. And now, they both read like crazy. There is actually very little we as moms/teachers/judgmental arses in the grocery store have to do with it. It's kind of humbling, really. ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Topsy! It's nice to know that there are so many others out there who don't automatically think "oh, you're just not wanting to deal with it" or something when I say we are letting him do this at his own pace. :)